Friday, March 27, 2009

Mt. Elbrus

Sarah Smith is a friend of mine with whose dog I do some behavior therapy. She makes these biscuits called sausage pinwheels. Her recipe was the inspiration for the Mt. Elbrus. Thanks Sarah! Say hi to Petey and Elly, (her two canine companions).

18,500 Feet and the tallest point in Europe, and Russia. Mt Elbrus and the Caucusas Mountains are the border between Georgia and Russia. Getting there I hear is difficult due to political and geopolitical tensions. Oh well, politics and greed might ruin a good mountain but they can't hurt a good Potato Mountain.

Russians are great with potatoes...even though they don't know how to make a Mt. Elbrus, yet.

OK, about the picture you're about to view. I send to you my deepest and most sincere apologies. I simply could not wait to eat most of last nights dinner while I fiddled around with a stupid camera. Mt Elbrus is kind of a potato biscuit and I made 8 of them. I could not put down my fork until I had eaten the first four of my five...I had to give my wife three.



MT Elbrus


Make a biscuit mix. I use 2 cups of self-rising flour and about 1/8 -1/4 cup oil. Stir it together until it is all clumpy then add 1/2-3/4 cup milk.
Final mixture should be soft and workable but not sticky. If too sticky, add flour.

Now flatten out (roll it) onto the counter and make a rectangle. Make it fairly thin, like less than 1/4 inch. Make sure you can flip it and that it is not sticking to counter.

Now spoon on an equal depth of mashed potatoes (chilled). Then add chicken (I use fake chicken) and onions. Load it up good with chicken and onion and press them into the potatoes lightly with a spoon. Now, roll it up into a loaf. Wrap it in wax paper and freeze it for 2-3 hours. It should not be hard frozen but 1/2 way frozen so you can cut it into about 1- 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place these flat on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or more. Until starting to brown. Then sprinkle liberally with cheese, return to oven and turn off oven as it melts over the next few minutes. Remove from oven and serve with gravy! I use a fake chix bouillon, water and flour along with garlic and spices. So much for the old cold war, this baby warms up every bone in your body and every taste bud on your tongue. It was not even easy to get the picture you got, so cut me some slack.

It's gonna be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment